Senior Systems Administrator
Senior Systems Administrator works on problems of diverse scope where analysis requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Responsible for the analysis, installation, modification and support of operating systems, patches, upgrades, database, and high availability software in a Linux environment. Handles daily systems administration tasks. Provides support for Linux servers and debugs issues in the production SAAS environment. Installs and configures software. Performs regular backups for critical data. Ensures 24/7 availability of the Kollective service by identifying risks and performance bottlenecks before they become service impacting. Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. May mentor and/or supervise junior systems administrators. Participates in an on-call rotation.
- Knowledge of CentOS Linux operating system from a technical viewpoint.
- Experience with installations and maintaining of Linux operating systems in customer-facing, high availability environment
- Experience with and knowledge of puppet for server management. Experience with foreman – Foreman is an open source project that helps system administrators manage servers throughout their lifecycle, from provisioning and configuration to orchestration and monitoring.
- Required Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible or Foreman’s smart proxy architecture experience, you can easily automate repetitive tasks, quickly deploy applications, and proactively manage change, both on-premise with VMs and bare-metal or in the cloud.
- Knowledge of and experience with RPMs, Perl, MySQL, Apache, Tomcat, DNS, NFS, and Samba.
- Experience developing tools for automating system administration tasks using Perl or shell scripts
- Security management and policy auditing
- Experience deploying and administering Java web applications
- Deep experience with virtual machines, VMware vSphere, vCenter, and ESX server.
- Experience with and appreciation for Configuration Management
- Familiar with data backup tools (Amanda a plus).
- Basic knowledge of TCP/IP as a network protocol and Internet application protocols
- Strong knowledge of Dell server hardware including diagnosing and troubleshooting hardware failures to the replaceable module level.
- Familiarity with Nagios and writing of system/application monitoring scripts.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms with Microsoft Azure being a plus.
- Experience managing corporate Microsoft Windows server environments
- Comfortable deploying and debugging tomcat web applications
- Self-motivation & Innovation: Works effectively with a high degree of autonomy. Proactive identifying problems and potential problems and proposing solutions. Continuously looking for opportunities to simplify and automate the administration of the computing environment. Ready to go the extra mile as opposed to waiting to be told to take the first step.
- Communication Skills: Good oral and written communication skills as applicable to a technical environment. Able to effectively communicate with co-workers and customers on technical and non-technical issues. You share and document the processes and procedures you use to administer the environment.
- Detail Oriented: Develops plans and follows procedures accurately.
- Project Management: Able to manage projects from planning through completion. You can manage and complete multiple open tasks efficiently and effectively in an interrupt-driven environment.
- Must possess a customer support attitude including skills such as being responsive to customer requirements.
- Education: Requires a BS/BA degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and work experience.
- Industry Experience: 6-8 years’ experience as a Linux system administrator, preferably in a production environment.
The largest, most successful, global companies trust Kollective Technology to power their Enterprise Live and On-Demand video delivery, serving millions of users worldwide. From its software defined enterprise content delivery network (SD ECDN) to related IT tools like Network Readiness Testing and Network Analytics, Kollective drives a powerful ROI and makes the flexibility of software defined networking a reality.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.